WAHOO!! It's almost Memorial Day weekend and for many of us, that means a 4-day weekend or at least a 3-day one!
Before you begin your celebration, take some time to remember the real reason we observe Memorial Day and commemorate those men and women who have died protecting our country. It's a great opportunity to explore the history behind Memorial Day, so we all can continue to remember its meaning each and every year to come.
We know everyone is itching to get out of the house so here are some things you can do over the weekend to celebrate and spend time feeling festive with the family…
- Draw an American Flag with sidewalk chalk
- Teach the kids a little about American History
- Have a traditional Memorial Day BBQ in the backyard with the family
- Rent outdoor games like corn hole from Outdoor Recreation (Returns will be 10 am-12 pm Tuesday due to the holiday being on Monday)
- Practice your baking skills and make festive red, white and blue cupcakes
- Virtually tour the White House
- Take a hike, walk, bike ride, etc. (There is nothing better than staying active)
- Himmerod Abbey 20 min. drive
- Manderscheid Castle 30 min. drive
- Speicher Nordic Trail 10 min. drive
- Devils Gorge 40 min. drive
- Watch a patriotic movie. Here are some of our favorites:
- Forest Gump
- The Patriot
- American Sniper
- Hacksaw Ridge
- Pack a picnic and venture out to the Mosel or a nearby field
- Virtually tour the Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- Watch the National Memorial Day Concert on AFN at 11:00 pm on Sunday, May 24th
We hope you enjoy the weekend celebrating with your family. If you normally spend this day with your friends, give them a call and virtually toast to the celebration!